Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Wholewheat penne and cauliflower cheese (V)
This is basically a variation on Macaroni Cheese. I used wholewheat penne instead of macaroni, because it's much higher in fibre. And I confess I'm not a massive cheese fan, so these quantities make for a palatable dish for me, but for the cheese lover, you may want to double the cheese amount!
Recipe (serves 4)
1. Prepare the vegetables: Half a cauliflower and half a broccoli, chopped into florets, and either a sliced leek or a large onion.
2. Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Cook enough for 4 servings.
3. At the same time, boil the cauliflower and broccoli till tender. (around 10 mins)
4. Melt 50g butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the leek or onion and saute for 5 mins till softened.
5. Grate 75g cheddar and 25g Parmesan cheese into a bowl while the leek/onion cooks.
6. Stir in 4 tbsp plain flour to the leek/onion pan and cook for 1 min, stirring continuously. Gradually add 350 - 500ml milk, stirring all the time. You want to achieve good consistency, so be flexible with the amount of milk. Remember you'll be adding cheese and creme fraiche later.
7. Preheat the grill to high.
8. Bring white sauce to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, drain off the pasta (but leave a little water) and the cauliflower and broccoli, and tip them all into an ovenproof dish. Mix well.
9. Finish off the white sauce by stirring in 2 tbsp creme fraiche and your grated cheese. Heat through until all the cheese has melted.
10. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta, cauliflower and broccoli, coating everything evenly. Sprinkle cheese over the top and grill until the top is golden.
(around 10 mins)
Variation: Add bacon or chicken for some meat in the dish. You could also serve with sweetcorn or carrots.