Sunday, September 25, 2011
Beef Steak with warm sweet potato salad
This takes about 30 mins to prepare, and has a lovely combination of flavours and textures. If you don't have a microwave, you can oven bake the sweet potato and baking potato, but it will take around an hour.
Recipe (serves 4)
1. Prepare 2 baking potatoes by scrubbing well. Prick with a fork then microwave on full power for 10 mins.
2. Prepare your vegetables: chop up 1 large or 2 small red onions, a handful of mushrooms, 3 green peppers, and 2 large or 3 small sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes should be scrubbed then cut into 3-4 big chunks. You don't need to peel them.
3. When your baking potatoes have finished cooking, wrap them in foil and set them aside. Put the sweet potato chunks in a microwave dish, add 2 tbsp water, a sprinkling of oregano, thyme and black pepper, then cover and microwave for 10 mins (you may need to stir half-way through).
4. Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan and a saucepan. Fry the red onions in the frying pan and put the mushrooms and peppers in the saucepan with the lid on, to cook slowly.
5. Once the onions have softened, add 4 steaks to the frying pan. You can add seasoning here- Cajun spice, chilli powder and black pepper. You could always marinade the night before if you're organised!
6. Prepare a lettuce by washing and cutting into thin strips, and halve 4 tomatoes. You can fry the tomatoes with the steaks or keep them raw for the salad.
7. Cook the steaks on both sides to your preference, and stir the vegetables so they are nice and tender.
8. Once the sweet potatoes are done, put them into a salad bowl with the lettuce (and tomatoes, if you aren't cooking them). Add a sprinkling of lemon juice. Add the mushrooms and peppers and mix well.
9. Serve up the steaks (with fried tomato if applicable) and halve the baking potatoes. People can help themselves to the sweet potato salad. Ketchup, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise and mustard work well as condiments with this meal too.