Welcome!

These are all tried-and-tested recipes, adapted from a wide variety of sources. I really hope you enjoy them and find them useful.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Art of Meal Planning

Ok, so I've come under fire from various quarters about the fact that I plan all our meals week by week and I use my ultimate 10 week meal planner as a basis to work from.

Yes, it's geeky. Yes, it's organised. But I do it for good reasons:

1. I know exactly what to buy at the supermarket.
2. I don't waste food.
3. I make sure we eat a good range of meals.
4. I aim for 2 veggie meals a week. It's cheaper and better for the planet.
5. I can plan to use up anything in the freezer.

Obviously, you have to be flexible. If you go to the supermarket and there's a special offer on a whole chicken, then it's probably worth buying it, doing a Sunday roast then using up the leftover chicken with a couple of chicken recipes during the week. Nothing ground-breaking there.

But, perhaps on a more serious note, I get really concerned when I'm teaching kids in school who just do not eat properly. Their parents don't take responsibility for making sure they eat a healthy, balanced diet, and many of us as adults are so busy with our working lives that we de-prioritise cooking good food, and end up existing on take-aways and ready meals. Health-wise this a huge concern, but also socially, morally...

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment