Welcome!

These are all tried-and-tested recipes, adapted from a wide variety of sources. I really hope you enjoy them and find them useful.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Victoria Sponge

This will serve two small round cake tins.

Cream 100g butter with 150g sugar. I use soft unrefined brown sugar, but I did get a bit of a slap on the wrist for this in a bake-off as Victoria Sponge is not supposed to be 'dark'.
Add 2 eggs and 175ml milk.
Stir in 200g self raising flour.
Divide into two sandwich tins for 20 mins at 180 degrees.
It's done when it springs to the touch. Don't overdo it, it's meant to look pale.
Put to cool on a cooling rack, but don't leave it too long. Move the bottom cake onto a plate, spread with jam, then place the other cake on top.
Eat warm with a cup of tea!
If you want to be really perfectionist, sieve some icing sugar on top.

Remember to grease the tins well so you don't get crumbly cake.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's not at all like my sponge recipe... I always do 250g of butter (well, marg), sugar, and sr flour, and 3 eggs. Out of curiosity - what sort of sugar do you use? I always use caster, but my friend Hannah swears by granulated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually use light brown unrefined caster sugar, but I don't see much difference with granulated. I just have a thing about only using unrefined sugar, because it's so much better for you.

    ReplyDelete